About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Garlic Lovers Latkes - First Night

On Saturday, we decided we would make homemade latkes... We had six big potatoes just for this adventure...

For the past 13 years, I have host a fantastic chanukah party (although last year it was really really toned down and was a toddler chanukah party?!?! - before that it was a latke vodkah party). In years past, I would make about 10lbs of homemade latkes for it... This year we are not having the annual party - first time in the 14 years I have lived here in Washington DC - I am not hosting it - but we are having "play dates" over for many of the nights.  As they say in mindfulness, it is good to just be in the moment and enjoy it - I am not in a place to host such a big party this year - but we are celebrating our "candles" off each night!

On Saturday night it was going to be just us and Auntie Chris to start off the holiday -  I made a meatloaf, big salad, orange carrots and Jonah, Vera & I were making the latkes.

We started.  The grating of the potatoes in the food processor went really well.  Then I realized I did not have an onion... so I kaleidoscoped up a plan to use onion powder... but none of that either... then I figured we'll just use garlic powder.  I got it out and went to get the salt at which point Jonah & Vera dumped most of the garlic powder from the shaker bottle into the potato mixture... and were hysterically laughing...

At that point, I figured we didn't need to add any salt or pepper.  I wiped away some of the garlic powder but it was in the pot with the eggs, potatoes and matza meal...

Let's fry them up!

We talked about the Maccabees and the story of Chanukah and the oil.  Jonah did some frying and Vera cheered.  They came out looking perfect!

And guess what?  they tasted really good!  not exactly how I expect my latkes to taste but like fried garlic mashed potatoes!  My kids are chefs!

YUMMY!



















No comments:

Post a Comment