About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Friday, December 7, 2012

I am gong to huff and puff and blow your house down...

And I am not talking about Hurricane Sandy!

Way back in the summer, we went to that wedding in Pittsburgh.  En route we stopped off at Fallingwaters.  I loved being there with the kids.  I bought an "architectural" version of the the familiar story "The Three Little Pigs" - that was in July 2012.

We came home and started reading it a lot.  It is a very cool book.  It has great illustrations and well, the story - it's is the basic three little pigs story but the pigs are famous architects (and build their famous houses) - and kids really like it.

Jonah became obsessed with it.

Right away we started acting it out in our living room on a regular basis.  I am always the wolf blowing the down the make shift houses - we did this all the time.  At first, it was just a Jonah thing -  but alas... guess what...

Six months later and we are still reading the book all the time.  We are still acting it out all the time, but now Vera is running from house to house as well.

Every night I must tell Jonah a story before he goes to bed and it must have Jonah, Vera and the big bad wolf in it...

I have changed the big bad wolf... now in the stories I tell, Jonah & Vera have befriended him and they taught him how have "listening ears and gentle hands" and the big bad wolf knows how to share and be a good friend.  They all go on play dates together and live happily ever after... if I am telling the story, I get to make it up!

Something about the lines in the story - the kids love it:

"not by the hair on my chinny chin chin"

"I will huff and puff and blow your house down"

Each time they start laughing their heads off when we say it out loud...

I laugh when I see them laughing. 

The whole thing is kinda silly and funny and good stuff... and they can do it for such a long time?!?!

Who would have thought we'd spend so much time on the Three Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf... certainly not me!  (I mean pigs (pork) aren't even kosher!)

Shabbot Shalom everyone!  Even if you are telling stories about non-kosher pigs - it is all food for thought!


The Three Little Pigs' Houses - July 2012

 
He is in house number 1.
 
He is behind house number 2


Running from house number 2 to house number 3.

 
Safe in house number 3.

 
Vera and Jonah in house number 1 - yesterday (Dec 2012)


Now they are in house number 2.


And then in house number 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment