About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Celebrations Squared

Yesterday was Monday.  It was also Federal holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday.  It was also the second Inauguration of President Barack Obama.

Wow.

So we celebrated.  That is what kaleidoscoping (chaos and everything else) is all about.

We decorated.  We read books. We baked cinnamon rolls.  We watched the Inauguration on TV (kinda). We colored.  It was good. 

What a difference four years makes.  Sort of.

Four years ago we were Hillary people - so the Inauguration was bittersweet.  We had friends in town who were big Obama people.  They brought their small children and stayed at our house - so we naturally turned the whole day into a party.  They ventured to the historic Inauguration and watched it in person - we watched it on TV and had a party with their kids.  They also brought a canister of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls.  I was pregnant with Jonah at the time. We had a great time.

It feels like it was a lifetime ago.

Yesterday, we celebrated MLK, Jr Day and President Obama. We decided that our Inauguration tradition forever more will be to make those Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls - we never ever do that (Thank you to our Obama buddies who brought them four years ago).  And boy are those things sooo good!  We also colored pictures of Martin Luther King, Jr and President Obama.  We read all of these books I have collected for MLK,Jr day - they are wonderful books.

Jocelyn bought these little bobble heads of Obama and Hillary.  We opened them up with the kids and tried to tell them our story about Obama and Hillary.  They thought the bobbling heads were hilarious!  They totally didn't listen to our story...

Jonah knows that MLK, Jr said, "I have a dream!"and then he will tell you that the dream was about everyone being equal.  Vera likes to say "OBAMA" and then throw her hands up in the air and say, "Yeah!"  She also gave Hillary the bobble head huge hugs and told her she loved her...

Throughout the day, I kept thinking about four years ago.  What a difference those four years had made. How different yesterday was.  In my life.  In my family.  In this world.  In so many ways!

I am so grateful for yesterday.  I enjoyed yesterday.  It was good.  As you know, I am trying to stay in the present moment... but last night for a moment - I could not help thinking... what will life be for me, my kids, my family, our world... in just four more years.  And yes, I did for a split second think, will Hillary run for President... (And yes, I did go to mindfulness group last night as well!)

Whatever happens in the future, I look forward to all of my future inauguration days - and I am very excited that they will include the baking and eating of cinnamon rolls!  Now that's a famous quote if I ever heard one, "Let them eat Cinnamon Rolls!"




greasing the pan

raw rolls - mmm...



while the rolls bake we color


mmmmm, inauguration cinnamon rolls
















four years ago we also had a party!

with coloring pages and cinnamon rolls











































No comments:

Post a Comment