About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Bit "Tee'd" Off

This past Sunday, we had a slow morning and needed a little weekend adventure.  I looked through the kaleidoscope - it was sunny and cool out - and thought it was a perfect day for Miniature Golf!!!

Taking a little jaunt to East Potomac Park (Hains Point) had been on our "adventure list" forever - especially the Mini Golf!  And here's the funny thing, after our little adventure on Sunday, turns out one of our favorite blogs, KidFriendlyDC, listed it as a thing to do this week... now that's a funny coincidence!

We headed out around 3pm.  We got suck in traffic.  Of course Jonah fell asleep in the car.  So when we got there, Vera and I hung out in the parking lot while Jonah slept... then Vera decided it was time to wake him up.  She tickled his feet.  He didn't get up.  Then she figured she try to take a little drive.  Gotta give it to her, she knows how to have fun.

Finally, sleepy head got up.  We checked in at the Mini Gold course.  WE WERE THE ONLY ONES THERE!!! How awesome is that.  Well, it totally is when you are at the Mini Golf course alone with a 1 year old and a 3 year old.  Jonah & Vera had the best time ever!!!!  We started out with three clubs and three balls... by then end we had one club and our three balls had ended up in a small river under a bridge.  Jonah managed to find another ball somewhere to putt the 18th hole... but aaaahh the surprise when the ball went "poof" at the 18th hole!   Seriously though, it was very fun.  It would have been a disaster if there were other people there - but with us being the only ones - we were running, playing, laughing all over the place.  Pure delight!

Then it was time for snacks.  We stopped at the Grill for french fries and treats.

And we were all in such a good mood, I couldn't leave without driving to the tip of Hains Point and finding the playground.  There were lots of kids of all ages at the playground.  Lots of families of all colors, shapes and sizes hanging out and BBQing.  It was quite the scene.   I would totally go back and hang out there.  It was diverse, fun and everyone was super friendly.

And yet again, I had a memory rush.  I had been to Hains Point two times before.

Once to the Mini Golf course on a super fun first date with a guy I met on JDATE when I first moved to DC.  I remember he was golfer.  I do not remember his name.  I remember it was summer.  It was a Saturday afternoon and there were lots of "date" couples.  After golf, we went to the Grill and drank beer.  In the end we had lots of really fun dates but it didn't really go anywhere - no chemistry.  But I remember, at the time I was totally considering taking gold lessons at Hains Point.  But then I never did.  Funny how that happens.  Maybe the kids and I will take them together one day soon.

My other two trips to Hains Point involve running.  I used to run all the time.  I love running.  I love the runner's high.  I have run two marathons - the New York Marathon in 1999 and the Marine Corps Marathon in 2000.  The New York Marathon was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  The Marine Corps Marathon wasn't so much - or maybe it was.

During the last half of the Marine Corps Marathon when I ran it, you ran to the tip of Hains Point and back.  Before I had even reached the half way point of the MCM, I was having problems.  I hadn't trained enough due to runner fatigue and injuries - but my friends were running and I wanted to run 2 marathons the year I turned 30 in DC and NY - so I did it anyway.  It also did not help that it was like 85 degrees the whole time.  I did finish, but my time was awful and I really screwed up my knee.  Haven't really run that much since then. 

When I got to Hains Point during the MCM, I didn't think I could do it.  It is a long run to the tip and back.  Mentally I was spent and physically I was in severe pain.  One of my running buddies at the time was cheering me on at Hains Point.  She ran with me most of the way out and back on Hains Point.  I was slow, but with her by my side, at least I kept going.  Back then the Awakening Statue was at the tip - I remember stopping to take a picture of the statue and thinking I feel like that big Giant... clawing my way out of the ground...  I also stopped to take a picture with a big bunch of Marines who were cheering people on on Hains Point.  That was the other thing about Hains Point, there were not that many people cheering the runners on - it was long and lonely... but I had my buddy helping me the whole way.  I left Hains Point alone and finished. In a way, I guess I may be prouder of my MCM than my NYC Marathon.  The MCM was REALLY HARD... as in the "not sure I can finish it" hard - but quitting was not an option so I did it.  There just wasn't another option.  When I crossed the finish line and the Marine put the medal around my neck, I was so relived.  I thought I would just fall over and die right there - but I walked a bit and then met my buddies and we went and had brunch.  The next day I couldn't move.  I had done it.  I had run two marathons in my 30th year... GO ME!

The NYC Marathon was hard too, but I was on a super runner's high almost the whole time.  I was ready and happy.  I was in my favorite city in the world and I had trained my ass off.  I had friends all over the course.  When I turned onto First Avenue off the bridge and heard the screams of the city of New York for me - I cried!  I was a super star in the greatest city in the world - to me - it was my Madonna moment - it must be how she feels when she gets on stage.  I remember in New York, at mile 20-21, I was in the Bronx and I was really tired and it was a bit quiet out there and I made a turn and was about to go under an overpass and I looked up - a huge banner read - THERE IS NO WALL!  And I cried again - just as I was about to hit that Runner's Wall - the universe sent me my message - there is no wall - you can do anything and you will.  I crossed back into Manhattan and finished my first marathon - alone - happy - SUPER PROUD!

So then fast foward many years later.  Me with my two kids at Hains Point.  Mini Golfing in the sun.  Snacking of fries and juice boxes.  Playing on the slides at the playground.  The Awakening statue is no longer there - they moved it to National Harbor (my kids visited it there this summer).  Again, I was happy.  Everything has a place - a pitcher of beer, a great date, a hard marathon run, a great marathon run, a game of mini golf, running around the playground, your kids' smiles... it is all good... it is all real... it is all about growing up...

The same places, different experiences, different stages of life... 

Somehow though, we are always trying to get that proverbial "a hole in one!" 

Here's to empty mini golf courses (and great dates and finishing marathons) that allow you to run, jump, squeal, putt, and keep putting until you get it in, whether it takes 1 shot or 101 shots...  as long as you smile along the way, it was worth the effort!






















No comments:

Post a Comment