About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Drumming up some Fun!

I've been seriously into getting my music on these days.  My kids have always been into getting their music on - The Fresh Beat Band, Thomas the Train CDs, Sesame Street CDs, Ziggy's Family Time CD, Laurie Berkner... the typical under 3 music collection.  For the past three years most of my music listening time has been to toddler tunes - and that is OK - because Jonah & Vera love to listen to music, dance to music and make music! 

These days I am trying to move a bit back into my own music.  It marks the times of my life, tThe people I have spent it with, as well as the memories and associations I have had while listening to said music.  Sometimes that is hard emotionally for me to go there, but other times it is exhilarating - it all depends - and it is OK.

After seeing Madonna a few weeks ago, I decided that I would start guitar lessons.  She learned after she became a mom and a superstar - so could I.  So I did it.  I bought a guitar.  And I started lessons.  It is really hard.  It hurts your fingers.  But it feels really good.  Of course what did I tell my teacher when he asked what kind of music I want to learn how to play, "Music I can sing with my 3 and 1 year old... oh yeah and folk music and Madonna..."  He laughed.  Even when doing something for me, my kids are in the room.  We call that maternal instinct.

Back to this weekend's kaleidoscopey adventure.  After that fantastic experience with the women drummers (La Batala) a few weeks ago (see that post here), I decided I needed to get my kids some drums and some drum action.  I have wanted to take them to the Meridian Hill Park Drum Circle forever.  This weekend shaped up to be gorgeous out.  One of my good buddies and her two kids were up to try it out!  (Yes, she is also part of the proverbial village - have I mentioned how I know how lucky I am to have the best "village" ever!)  It was a date.

Of course, I got on amazon.com and got us some drums.  We were not going to the drum circle without drums.  I had visions of the four of our kids in the middle of the super cool New Yorkesque drum circle jamming it down and taking breaks to dance... I said visions... that would be imaginary visions...

We met up with our buddies around 4:30 right at the drums.  My kids were jamming to the beat as we walked/strolled up to the drum circle.  Then we met my buddy and her two boys (4 and 6).  They had bumped into some other friends there so there was a little gang of kids 6 and under running, jumping and playing in the park - a park that was super decked out in brilliant fall foliage!  They were sort of oblivious to the drumming?!?! 

Jonah immediately joined the gang and never looked back!  That kid amazes and confuses me every day.  I take him to soccer with 5 kids from school and he is on my leg like glue - we show up at this huge park we have never been to, meet up with buddies he surely can not remember since we had not seen them in forever, and within 3 minutes he is off and running!!! (And jumping off the highest ledge he could find without thinking twice - sometimes he has NO FEAR!) I think the key to this puzzle is the RUNNING!  My Jonah just loves to RUN!!!  It is crazy!  He is super fast and loves to play.  I hope he never loses that -  I hope he always finds pure unadulterated delight in running and being free - it is a gift.  I know that amazing runner's high feeling and it is quite close to perfection - Go Jonah Go!

Vera did want to drum the drums (we had practiced at home).  But she also wanted to investigate the entire park and meet every dog... that's my Vera.  and give everyone hugs!  And dance.  I spent most of my time running after her as she explored the park.  My buddy kept track of Jonah and her boys - there was way too much going on.

One of my friend's kids, the 4yr - he was totally seduced by the drums.  He grabbed our bongos and sat in the drum circle for a bit and totally jammed it out.  It was WONDERFUL!  It was worth trip!

We hung out for a few hours and then it started getting dark.  But before we left, the gang of little kids somehow found a soccer ball and played a pickup game?!?!  Too funny!

My buddy and I, we wanted to grab the drums and get in that circle- and dance!  The beat and vibe was AWESOME!   After I get the hang of this guitar I may buy a drum set!  We might never be the same! 

We are going back to that drum circle.  And one day I am sure my kids will be drumming in the center.  But until then, as long as they have a good time and hear those fantastic drum beats in the background... I am happy.

Happy Monday everyone and go beat on a drum!


























No comments:

Post a Comment