About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

An august August?

Webster's online dictionary defines the adjective august as follows:

august: adj. marked by majestic dignity or grandeur

My last post was on Friday, August 3 (see this post here).  Jonah finished camp that day.  We went to a fun Shabbat night out.  Jonah's tonsil surgery was days away.

I kept waking up each day in August, and each day was less and less august - definitely not "marked by majestic dignity or grandeur."  I can not tell you how happy I am that it is over.  I am not so happy that the summer is over but sometimes you got to shut the door in order to open a new one.  As many of you know, most of Washington, DC and Europe take the month of August off - we did too - from blogging... not from life.  This post is just a short "cliff's notes" of my thoughts.  There will be more posts to come that will highlight the ups and downs of our August - but for now, this is what you get...

Where to begin...

What I remember vividly about the past month is strange. 

I would love to forget all of the conversations with doctors and nurses; the scheduled surgery; the surprise ER visits; stitches; antiseptic smells; beeps from blood pressure machines and hospital machines; IVs, prescription drugs; night terrors; too many tears; phone calls you never want to receive; terrible horrible cries from your most precious babies' mouths; the thought, smell and sight of throw up; incessant amounts of TV; the way your heart aches when you can not fix the problem; agreeing to law suit settlements because you just can't deal; feeling betrayed by people who were supposed to be there and help; being scared; being alone; being disappointed; being frustrated; and completely - devastatingly tired the entire time...

I will never forget and will always be grateful for the stickiness and sweetness of way too many lollipops; the smooth velvety taste of immense amounts of chocolate milk; the tightest and most urgent hugs for and from your children; the most wonderful kisses for and from your kids; the most amazing expressions on your children's faces when they receive gifts that make them so happy they are literally jumping for joy despite being in pain; being so relieved that you could just faint; the kindness of strangers when they didn't have to care in taxi cabs, Emergency Rooms, mobile phone stores, FedEx counters and salons; the amazing dependability of certain friends who make life much easier; the support of family who truly love you no matter what; the ability to use my kaleidoscope and have fun despite it all; and the current health and happiness of my two most amazing children...

It was not an august August.  But it was an August that taught me more about who I am that any other month before.  It was an August that revealed to me how truly wonderful and resilient my children are.  It was an August that illustrated how important "the village" is and how lucky I am to have one that I can rely on. 

Good bye August! We are ready for September over here.  It is time to buy new shoes! Jonah starts nursery school soon.  Vera and I are going to have "girls' dates" and we are oh-so-excited about it! The Jewish holidays are just days away.  The days are getting shorter.  The wind should start to blow just a little bit more.  It is time for apple picking, fall festivals and fun... we are ready!

But I am making one more executive blog decision at this time: I am going to try to blog 5 days a week - Monday through Friday... and take the weekends and holidays off.  Weekends and holidays are made to be off - blogging included.

I've got my kaleidoscope and it is waiting for a stupendous September...


We all need new shoes!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment