About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Too Sick to Shofar

Best laid plans!

Tuesday night after we ate our prefast meal and got ready for bed... I felt it. The cold/flu monster creeping into my body and sucking all of my energy out, leaving me with a drippy nose, severe pains in the back of my throat, a headache that makes you want to die, aches all of over my body and yes the urge to puke.  Oh yeah for me.

Silver lining:  if you get sick on Yom Kippur you are allowed to eat if you need to to get better... except the thought or smell of food made we high tail it to the bathroom to puke - so the fasting was super easy!

I was determined to go to services so I gathered the crew and we met a few friends at the Tifereth Israel tot services.  We were there on time which was a mistake because it started very late.  After about 35 minutes running around the room waiting, my crew was not going to sit for the Jonah and the Whale puppet show...

So we went to the playground.  Just what my kids needed and it was good to sit in the sun and pray for its healing powers to wash over me... while confessing all of my sins.  It did occur to me that it was not the best omen to be sick on Yom Kippur, but I put it out of my head.

Finally our buddies met us on the Temple playground and that was fun. 

Soon enough it was time to head home and when we got home, I was done.  Way too sick to do anything.  My kids watched lots of TV and I managed to read them the Jonah and the Whale story.

I cancelled the break fast we were going to host.  And called on my "village" to help take care of the kids for a few hours so that I could sleep.  THANK YOU VILLAGE.

Any plans to hear the official shofar at the end of Yom Kippur were scrapped. 

Rather I asked my kids if they would blow the shofar for me and they obliged.

All I can say is at least my kids looked super cute!  Jonah had on a tie, vest, slacks and button down shirt and Vera had on a party dress.  When we got dressed that dayJonah told me, Mommy you dressed Vera like a princess and me like a King - I love you mommy!  Sick or not, that stuff is priceless.




acting out the Jonah and the Whale story - in the boat...

No comments:

Post a Comment