About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Friday, September 14, 2012

We Love the Big Apple - and picking them too...

The final weekend of Nana Camp, Vera and I joined Jonah for some fun!  There was a trip to the farm (post yet to come), to get new shoes for Vera (Nana and Pop already took Jonah for his new shoes a few days earlier) and a trip apple picking.

Nana, Jonah, Vera and I headed out on a cloudy Sunday on an adventure - we had no idea what to expect.  We had never been to the apple orchard (or knew anyone who had).  We had never been apple picking with this little crew... And it was a little bit early for New York apples.  But I was determined.  You see, I waned to pick apples in the Big Apple (remember Nana Camp is in New York).  I wanted to take pictures of my kids picking apples and put it on our Jewish New Year card.  I was not going to be deterred...

I was driving, and yes, I managed to get us a little lost.  It was right near Nana Camp which is why I picked it, but alas I seem to always take a circuitous route to get to my destination - I try to remind myself it is all about the journey and try to kaleidoscope away the rest...

We drove up and well, it looked like some one's house with an orchard out back.  I think it was.

But despite it all, there we were.  And we picked us some apples.  We had a grand old time.  We were like the only ones there.  We did bump into another couple with their toddler - religious Jews at that... we wished them a happy new year - great minds think alike I thought - it is almost the Jewish new year - let's get some apples...

What is the thing with the apples and the Jewish New Year you ask.  Well, you are supposed to eat apples & honey on Rosh Hashannah - the Jewish New Year.  You are supposed to do this to ensure you have a happy, healthy and SWEET New Year and well, apples and honey are good  and sweet together!  Just ask my kids - we've been eating it ever since we picked the apples and bought the honey!

The other reason I picked the orchid we went too (Fort Salonga Farm) was because they have their own honey.  They have their own bee hives.  We bought some of it and it is delicious!

They also have "dwarf" trees or little trees the perfect size for little kids to pick the apples.

Bottom line is that Jonah & Vera LOVED it!!!! Nana played along at first, but then she couldn't help herself - I think she had fun.  You could not not have fun watching Jonah and Vera running around with the apples, eating them, rolling them, just having the time of their lives in the middles of this apple orchard in New York!  This is good stuff!

We are about to get ready for the New Year.  Perfect timing.  Time to eat those apples & honey and pray for good and sweet things to come.  Time to think about the past and dream into the future. The high holidays (as they are called) mark so many things for us. This is our first Rosh Hashannah in our new house.  It is over year since I have been cancer free.  It is time to reset and start a clean slate.  o forgive the ones we have wronged - even ourselves and recommit to the things that are important.  That is something I welcome.  A time to set new goals and a new year to live up to them.

Here's wishing us all luck - I know I often need some.  That and a healthy dose mental fortitude, strength and perseverance. 

The holiday starts Sunday night and goes till Tuesday evening.  We'll be back on Wednesday.

Until then, go hear the shofar (ram's horn that Jews blow on this holiday) and listen to its good vibes and energy.  Here's wishing you all a Shana Tova v M'touchah - HAPPY & SWEET NEW YEAR!

And of course a Shabbat Shalom to everyone!

(I know that there are way too many pictures of my kids today... I can't help it, these pictures make me happy...)













even in the orchard there are hugs!


























1 comment:

  1. These are the CUTEST pictures ever!!! I love the one of V and J running together. So precious!

    ReplyDelete