About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Leave it to the Latkes!

A week or so ago, we were having a slow, maybe even a little off, kind of morning. 

Nothing much was going on and I am pretty sure I was tired... although it seems I am ALWAYS tired.

I had no idea what to feed the kids for lunch. (I never have any idea what I am going to feed the kids... for any meal) It was 11:30 and they were both hungry.

I stood staring at the fridge and pantry, and I am sure I had a blank emotionless stare on my face.  I had a sudden thought to pack the kids in the car and drive however long it would take to the nearest McDonald's Drive Thru... but then I quickly snapped myself out of it... (I have no idea where such a Drive Thru might be and I can't even remember the last time we went to a McDonald's... "not that there is anything wrong with it" - Seinfeld reference here - but we keep kosher for god's sake...) I stared again at the meager food choices both cold and boxed while my son who never eats whined, "mommy I am so hungry my tummy hurts..."

And there it was... the box of instant Streits Potato Pancake (Latke) Mix!!!  Left over from Passover.  A gift from the Mommy Goddess I tell you!  Looking at the box through my kaleidoscope, it was gorgeous!  It was lunch and a project all rolled up into one!

MOMMY:  Jonah do you want to make special lunch pancakes, and you can do the cooking?

JONAH:  YEEEESSSS!!!!  Please mommy, mommy!  Special Lunch Pancakes made by me!!!

MOMMY:  alrighty then!

So we made potato pancakes (latkes).  We ate them up with applesauce and humus and carrots.  And finished it off with some Mandarin oranges and peaches.

Sometimes you just need a little box of potato pancake mix to "grease" up your day just right!

Today was sort of a slow, off day too with the added benefit of lots of rain.  But today, we had a leftover pizza for lunch.  And then later the babysitter showed up...  There is always some way to get through the day! (insert favorite food and alcohol references here as well...)



mixing it up



put it in the pan

flipping it too!

I am making my own in my kitchen!



Jonah!  These are yummmy!


lip smacking good!

If Jonah doesn't finish his... I'tt take them!

No comments:

Post a Comment