About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Livin' La Vida Lag B'Omer!

As I mentioned yesterday, last night started Lag B'Omer which is the 33rd day of the Omer.  The Omer is sort of like lent but totally different.  It is the 50 days between Passover and Shavuot which correspond to the days between the barley and wheat harvest in ancient Israel.  Some Jews count each day by saying a certain prayer marking each day.  It is a time of solemnity.  Religious Jews don't get haircuts, have weddings, celebrate with music, etc.  Except on the 33rd day.  That day is like an "off" day of sorts.  There are many reasons - some kabbalistic, some secular.  Lag B'Omer has changed throughout history and these days you never know who will be celebrating it or how.  In Israel it is a big secular Zionistic holiday with bonfires, bows & arrows, picnics & BBQs, and weddings & haircuts. 

In June 2004, I celebrated it in Ghirba, Tunisia.  I was working crazy hours in London at the time on a huge case for Big Law.  I had read about this Jewish festival for Lag B'Omer years ago and always wanted to go.  I booked my trip and went alone-a three day jaunt to Tunisia to celebrate this little known Jewish holiday.  It was AWESOME.  I made a number of friends.  I stayed in a resort in which they had kosher meals.  I shopped in the marketplace.  I went to an ancient synagogue.  I placed an egg in a cave with the hopes that I would meet my b'shert (Hebrew for destined mate or match) and end up married with children... I also took part in the traditional menorah parade.  Seriously it was awesome.  Because I end up talking to everyone, especially when I travel-especially when I travel alone-I ended up being interviewed.  (See the article here)  Ever since that trip, I always celebrate Lag B'Omer.

Fast forward eight years later and all the wishes I made on that egg have come true.  I met my b'shert (she was actually working for me on the case in London!), we got married and we have these amazing two kids!  Today, we celebrated Lag B'Omer together!

We woke up today and it was clear, sunny, windy - the perfect day to fly kites (my Lag B'Omer tradition!).  I had kaleidoscoped up this plan to take the kids right after Vera's nap to the Smithsonian Castle to the Garden Fest event.  We packed a big bag and the big stroller.  We would head to the Mall after and play the day away!  Return home for Shabbot.

And so we went.  We got dressed in some Jewish wear... I wore my Kosher T-Shirt. Jonah his Jewish Cowboy shirt, and Vera in her Mini Mensch shirt - we were quite the Jew Crew. 

Garden Fest was fine.  Not huge but they had tattoos!  So it was a big hit with my two.  Jonah insisted on a butterfly for me and him, and he told the tattoo lady to give Vera a lady bug!  Whoop Whoop- what a start to the adventure. We also got to dress up like butterflies (they gave us wings) and get our picture taken, I was thoroughly pleased by this opportunity.  Jonah planted a tomato bud to take home (but we lost it somewhere) and there were lots of little booths on planting and bugs we got to look it.

But Jonah was super excited about the castle.  He has been watching this new Nick Jr show, Mike the Knight... and has become really into knights, castles, dragons and yelling "Mike the Knight, do it right" and "Hazza" all the time. 

So we toured the castle.  Unexpected cool thing to do-but I will take it.

We headed to the grass on the Mall, picked a spot right in the middle, laid down our tarp and spent at least an hour hanging out and having fun in the most perfect weather ever!  Jonah had his bows & arrows!  We also had a kite (totally perfect kite weather).  We had snacks!  Vera was toddling all around, eating snacks, playing with the arrows, and eating dirt.  Passers by must thought who is that crazy women with 2 really little kids-she gave them bows & arrows and kites?  What the heck???  But we had fun!!!!

Then on the way back to the car we passed the Carousel, and we couldn't really pass it up.  So we parked the stroller and all got on.  But being the clueless mommy that I am sometimes, I put Jonah on the outside horse and Vera on the middle horse.  I did not notice which horse went higher... the carousel starts and it happens to be a pretty fast carousel.  So Jonah is like,"mommy hold me" and Vera is going up out of my reach... comical really (and possibly neglectful?).  Eventually I just held Vera and in my arms and held Jonah's hand... it wasn't easy...  We survived.

Jonah had another wonderfully crazy temper tantrum when we got home from the adventure.  He was tired and hungry.  After acting nuts, he asked me to push the "reset" button - this "trick" I have tried to do with him - a way to get out of tantrum mode: he can push my nose and say reset, I push his too and we hug.  I am taking his request as progress on that front.  Usually I am pushing him to push it, not him asking me.

Tonight's Shabbot dinner was inspired by an BBQ but not actually BBQ'd - but was yummy all the same.  We had hot dogs, baked beans, sour kraut, pickles, buns, big salad, green beans and tater tots!  YUMMY! After dinner we made "bonfire" cupcakes, inspired from Pinterest here and here

The kids were both happy & tired at bed time!  And so am I...


practicing before our adventure...

and he hit the target?!?!




We are all butterflies!

Tattoos!

Vera gets a ladybug

Jonah gets a butterfly

thinking about planting tomatoes

and planting them

more butterflies

Vera gives the Capitol her opinion - pacifier hook up and eyes closed...

toddling around the Mall!


Jonah & the Capitol

Jonah & the Monument

This is fun!

time to shoot some arrows

Vera taking a little walk

thinking about life

battling a dragon with his bow... just like Mike the Knight...

Mommy flies the kite and takes a picture at the same time!

mommy is still flying it...

Vera goes in for some snacks...

Jonah finally flies it on his own!  Go Jonah!

And Vera steals the arrows...

Trying to get the kite up again...

drink break- Jonah has mommy's bottle of water, Vera had his...

I am Mike the knight and i do it right... and that is my castle!

wait for me!


this is a staged photo, but clearly how mommy should have had us ride the carousel

bonfire cupcake

No comments:

Post a Comment