About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Aquarium @ the Atlas...

We had 10:00am tickets to see Aquarium at the Atlas Theater in Washington, DC this morning.  It is part of a series by Imagination Stage called Theatre for the Very Young.  As I mentioned yesterday, we aren't so fast or great in morning.  We got up, got dressed, and got out of the door-everyone was in a good mood!

Of course, we were still running late.  I made a few wrong turns.  We did get a parking spot literally in front of theater.  We rushed in and were about 5 minutes late.  This was a bit unfortunate as I have heard that if you get there early, they put out toys and the kids hang out before the show.  The other unfortunate thing was that Jonah's buddy Batman didn't make it to the show.  We thought he would be there and Jonah wore his special Spiderman shirt.  When we got there, I knew he wasn't going to be there (a secret text from said super hero's mom clued me in) but Jonah started screaming, "Where is he? Where is Batman? I NEED to sit next to Batman..."  This was somewhat embarrassing even at a children's performance as the show had already started and he was sort of making a scene... a very theatrical one at that.  We finally calmed down and got our places.

The show is good.  Actually, pretty great for the kids.  (Two thumbs up!) It is totally interactive with the kids and they use these cool props. The kids get really into it.  Vera was completely engaged and focused.  She did everything: picked up her lemon, shook it, clapped when prompted too, shook her seaweed, turned it into a flower, and pretty much laughed, sang and giggled her way through the whole show.  Jonah was into it too - but in an "I am almost three kinda way."  He did things with the props... like throwing the lemons... and stealing a few extra flowers from his neighbors... but he did really like it.  He got one of the special "fish" props!!  This made his day.  In the final scene of the show, we all end up in the sea (aquarium) made of a big blue parachute filled with a ton of creative and stimulative props (big flowing umbrella jelly fish, star fish, etc.).  They hand out a few stuffed big fish.  Jonah got one and just loved this part of the show.  It is the climax of the performance-you can see how into it the kids get in their faces.  Jonah did not want to give back his fish or leave... poor guy, as soon as he gets into something it is over... tough life!

Then I made the mistake of suggesting another play date with one of his other buddies, but that didn't work out and then he was mad about that too!  So, I kaleidoscoped up a fun idea and promised him fishing when we got home!

And he got to fish!  I gave him this little plastic fishing pole, four plastic fish, three plastic boats and a big bucket of water.  The kid was in heaven.  He hung out in the backyard for a long time by himself fishing and having fun with the water... yes it did deteriorate into water being dumped out on the floor and lots of splashing!  He was completely and totally happy!  All he could talk about was fishing...

What I find so amazing is watching them, Jonah & Vera, do the same things and do them in their own ways.  I now have a very small frame of reference because I remember doing similar things with Jonah when he turned one, and now I am doing them with Vera and Jonah.  She is so different than him.  Neither is better-but they are so different. They are so young, but each has a distinctive voice (and personality) of their own-they were just born that way (not to quote a Lady Ga Ga song), but it is true.  I know we will make a mark on them in some small way, but they are just who they are, and that is amazing thing to see.  Sometimes I think, these adventures, projects and celebrations are more about giving them each a place to express who they really are, than influencing or enriching them in any particular way.  The truth is, I am so lucky I get to spend this time with them and witness it all.  It really is a fun place to be.  (and yes, extremely exhausting too)  I am also very excited to be able to write down small snippets our our days and how I see, how my kids see their lives... one day I gather this will all be quite funny for them to read.

Finally, some nights I am very much overwhelmed by how much I love them.  They are different, frustrating, exasperating, agonizing, amazing, exhausting, exhilarating and so much more - but I love them more and more each day and more than I could ever put into words.  Like I said, I am a very lucky person.



no photos in the production, but we always get to stop for snack!!!

the theatre lobby had lots of fun stuff to play on

and somehow Vera got Jonah's chocolate milk...

Gone Fishin!


And the fish got out of the pond...

and Jonah lost his pants...



No comments:

Post a Comment