About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Spasms, Story Times & Suds

We have been in washing machine and dryer limbo since we moved in.  First, the washing machine was all moldy and gross.  I spent at least 3 days cleaning, scrubbing and bleaching it.  Then once I started using it I realized why it was so moldy... it seems to sit on the rinse cycle indefinitely unless you go over and tap the knob after what you think is enough time and then the spin cycle starts.  The machines are not new and from the beginning Jocelyn has wanted to get new ones.  So I finally agreed and said let's do it.  Then we started trying to figure out what to buy... OH MY GOODNESS... we have been "deciding" for about 9 days now, researching online, consumer reports, reading the reviews, asking our friends... it is total information overload. Finally, I decided I would go to Best Buy and Sears and buy them today.  The babysitter was supposed to come early today and take the kids to story time and I was going to leave and go buy the machines.

Best laid plans... I woke up at 4am with killer back pains (I was up on and off until the 7am when I gave up and got up and did tons of stretching).  I was still going to go buy the machines until I received a text from my babysitter that she could not get to us until 3:30pm.  Game time decision- do I take the kids to Best Buy to buy a washing machine despite my excruciating back pain or go to story time or stay home...

To the library!  I just could not imagine purchasing appliances with my two little angels while I was in such pain.  Equally as unappetizing - staying in the house...  Last week the babysitter took them to story time and I must admit I was bit jealous, plus I thought walking might be good for my back and at least part of time the kids would be locked in the stroller.  And really, I am a sucker for libraries and story times. 

When we lived in Chicago (July '11-Dec '11) Jonah was just a year (the same age as Vera now) and I took him almost every week, often twice a week to every library within a 60 mile radius for lap time, story time, mother goose on the loose, abc and me time, sing and story time... you name it we went to it and we had a blast.  We met some good friends at the Skokie library.  It was a free activity and checking out a new library is always lots of fun.  In Chicago, we went to many suburban libraries which were large, with entire wings dedicated to children - with play mats, toys and even train tables!  So it was very exciting to know that in our new house we are just a few blocks from the Chevy Chase, DC library.  They have story time (for kids 1-5 years old) every Tuesday and Thursday from 10 to 10:35 and on Thursdays another class from 11 to 11:35 (see library website here).  The babysitter said that is was great last week. Jonah sat on the circle carpet and did all the songs and read along with the stories and the babysitter sat with Vera in a chair. Vera just adored the whole thing.  I was shocked that Jonah was on his own - but hey he has been surprising me lately.  So we set off for 11am story time. 

The Chevy Chase library is very nice and the children's section is upstairs, big and fun!  They hold story time in its own room with a nice colorful carpet.  We get in and I motion for Jonah to sit on the carpet with the other kids and I went to take a seat at the edge of the carpet... and well, that wasn't going to happen.  So all three of us sat on the mat.  We started with a song and Vera was hooked- laughing, clapping and singing her way through the entire class!  Jonah on the other hand went through a few phases:
(1) clinging to me
(2) wandering around the room and moving around the back chairs
(3) insisting he wanted his "dinner" and a "snack"
(4) going right up to the teacher and standing in front of everyone while she read the book
(5) climbing all over Vera and me and telling us how much he loves us both and also loves books...

He does keep us on our toes and he is really cute... and he had lots of personality.  After we story time, we checked out the children's section of the library, then the kids got their hands stamped, and then we stopped for a snack outside.  That's when Jonah told me it was fun day and story time got a thumbs up!  Well there you have it - at least regarding the library...

My back pain disappeared at some point after we started walking TO the library and did not return (thank goodness).

Finally, it was 3:30pm and the babysitter did arrive. I went to Best Buy and Sears.  After being totally overwhelmed in both stores, and multiple phone calls to Jocelyn at the office, we decided on a Whirlpool top loader and the matching dryer (see it here...) it will be delivered this weekend Saturday.  Let's hope the new machines get just as much of a "thumbs up" as the library!






walking around the room, checking out all the chairs...
I love it here mom!  dancing on my knees!
Vera clapping along and then - bounce Jonah is on my lap invading our space-Hello curly top!
now he is right in the librarian's space... reading along with the book (it was about bunnies-there was a whole rabbit theme going on)
checking out the children's room after story time!  cool mat with animals!
Jonah found the puzzles


hand stamps for everyone
snack time mom!
yummy oranges!
later an impromptu lunch picnic in the back yard after a sightseeing walk around the new neighborhood post snack time and story time.

No comments:

Post a Comment