About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Flyovers & First Steps!

Big day today!  To start, let's just say I was feeling guilty... I received 2 calls before 10:00am asking if I was taking the kids to see the space shuttle flyover down town on the Mall... the callers were shocked when I said no?  Really they asked,  you always do adventures like that...

Jeez, did they have to schedule the flyover for playgroup day??  So because I was feeling guilty, I quickly got the kids ready and hatched a wacky "kaleidoscopey" plan to drive the kids as close as possible to the Mall, open the sun roof, see the flyover and get to play group with time to spare... We got in the car and turned on the news to track the flyover.  (The thing is I knew about the flyover the night before. I had researched it and thought about it.  But I really wanted to go to playgroup, for selfish reasons-I get to have sporadic adult interaction at playgroup... could I really be that selfish and then feel guilty... I guess so) 

So it was 9:55am and we were heading south on Connecticut Ave towards the Mall.  I explained to Jonah that we were going to get to see a spaceship.  He was completely not interested as he was obsessed with going to playgroup to play with Batman (one of his playgroup buddies) and he of course was Spiderman.  He screamed at me, "No mommy!!!  I want to play with Batman and his toys and I will behave!!!"  We had been talking all morning about sharing and behaving at playgroup.  Then on the news they reported seeing the shuttle.  Well, there was not way I was going to make it down there... and Jonah didn't want to go.  Oh well.  But wait, then they reported it was doing some loops to give everyone more chances to see it and about 1 minute later, there we were on Connecticut Ave, stopped at a red light, with the sun roof open and a huge noise erupts and Jonah starts yelling, "mommy, there it is the plane with the spaceship!!"  Yep, a gift from the "guilty mommy goddess" I am sure, but we all saw it clear as day right through our sun roof!  Kick it up for kaleidoscopey ideas! 

We arrived at playgroup and had a great time.  Our host and playmates were great!  Batman and Spiderman created lots of super hero chaos and their younger sisters were happy to watch and hang out.  To top it all off, Batman had tons of small planes and a space shuttle - Jonah quickly scooped them up and repeatedly reenacted the flyover.

In other great news, Vera has been slowly but surely standing on her own and fumbling into her first steps.  Today, this afternoon, she really started to get it and I am officially announcing that she is stumbling and walking!  One small step for Vera, but a huge step for our family.  When the two of them are running around, I have this strong feeling that our lives are going to change a bit. 

Moreover, it makes me pause, she isn't a baby any more!  Time goes by so fast-just another reminder that I need to take our chaotic lives, kaleidoscope them up into beautiful moments and try to remember them, because soon these "innocent kid" days will be gone! 

This blog is helping me to do just that.  So thank you for reading our little story and giving me a spot to put it all down. (Despite the fact that, I am often completely exhausted, spell lots of words wrong, definitely have typos, no matter how many times I read it over, and like tonight, write the post while nursing a severe headache!)


Jonah's reenactment!

this is our space shuttle pictute - eat your heart out facebook friends with your fancy photos..

Vera's first steps!  face of concentration

getting it down and happy about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment