About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Klutzy Kaleidoscoper...

So we've got this shtick with the kaleidoscopes over here.  (Read my first blog post to learn why here)  I'm the SAHM living on the edge with my kaleidoscope and making and doing all kinds of wonderful.  Except when I don't check the time something opens, or day something is closed...

This past Tuesday was a rainy day here in Washington DC.  I was thinking we really should go do something or I might go a bit stir crazy in the house all day.  Usually we have playgroup on Tuesday but we moved it to a playground and to the afternoon to work better with our large group of toddlers and baby siblings... and that did not look like it was going to happen given the rain.  Then a playgroup buddy emailed, did anyone have a fun idea to do something despite the rain.  That motivated me even more. I had been getting us all ready for an adventure, but after the email, we went into super drive - yes let's get out and maybe we'll have some buddies too! 

I had been wanting to check out the Living Classroom's Science + You exhibit for a while, I figured let's do it today.  I "replied all" that we were heading out there and would love some company.  I got everyone into the car and then this little voice in me said, "why don't you check what time it opens?"  So I checked on my Blackberry, and sure enough it didn't open until 12:30.  It was 10am.  That was totally not going to work.

Ok what next.  Everyone has raved to me about Rock Creek's Nature Center and it is literally "up the street" from us now.  So I quickly emailed the buddy list (didn't want anyone schlepping downtown to Science + you because of me and have to wait for it open...) - change of plans now we are going to Rock Creek Nature Center.

So we take off.  And by this time it had started to actually rain. We get to the nature center and there is one other car and a woman (who looks like a mom) walking to her car.  I pull up next to her and roll down my window.  I ask, "Is this the Nature Center?"  She replies with a look of defeat on her face, "yep and it is closed... only open Wed through Sun... I've got three kids in the car and have no idea what to do with them now..."  I could feel her pain.  We talked for a bit and discussed options... National Geographic, Smithsonian... then she said, " I know! Amazonia at the National Zoo !"  We both knew that would be the perfect inside exhibit, not too far and easy...

First, I had to email my buddies again.  Didn't want them showing up at the Nature Center...  and report on the plans... to which I received responsive emails, "OMG hope you land somewhere," "this is turning into quite an adventure," and "can't wait to hear where you end up!"    Meanwhile, Jonah keeps asking - where we going mommy?  on an adventure?  Where?  Are we there yet?  - I told him we were already on the adventure and we'd get there soon.

We haven't been to the Zoo in forever.  I think since Boo at the Zoo in October.  We definitely have not spent enough time at the Zoo.  My kids really like zoos.  I don't think they have ever been to Amazonia.  This was a good plan.

First we parked at the wrong parking lot.  I got the kids out of the car into the stroller and started walking in the rain.  We get to the map and I am like - no way!  I totally screwed up again!  So we went back to the car, unpacked and went to park in the correct parking lot... (Park in Lot D if you are visiting Amazonia and the Kid's Farm - NOT LOT A)

We had a great day in the end.  We saw animals, laughed, got plenty wet, ate lunch, toured the Kid's Farm, and played in the make believe pizza.  They fell asleep in the car on the way home.

But ever since Tuesday I can't stop thinking about how "klutzy" (in an organizational sort of way) I felt.  Like so many of our friends, we do lots of fun things.  Go on fun adventures.  Make creative stuff.  In a way, it is sort of easy because my kids are happy with so little.  They are little. Little things make them happy.  Finding a big green hill to run on is fantastic for Jonah (remember this post).  Vera is happy watching Dora on TV or thinks it is awesome to splash in our little $9.99 pool (see here).  Crayons make them squeal in delight - add stickers and you are golden - add stickers that sparkle and you are God...

I know it is me who wants to be, do and make spectacular things.  I also know it is me who often does not have my act together.  I remember when I was working full time crazy hours, intense projects - I had to have "my act" together all the time.  But now, my "act" is just so different.  My audience requires so much more stamina of mind, body and spirit on a 24 hour schedule, but so much less in terms of the sophistication of the finished product.  It is a strange place.  I need to go on adventures and do creative things so that I can get through the days.  I love seeing them do, be and make with me and it makes me happy.  Being "klutzy" is just how I seem to be these days.  I think it is partly because of the 24hr schedule and partly just because to me it is life and not a job.  There wasn't room for kaleidoscopes when I was lawyer.  But being a mom, seems to just beg for the accessory of the kaleidoscope. 

We are completely unorganized.  Our schedules are totally off.  We often get lost on the way to where we are going.  We may even arrive late.  I am just always making stuff up and grabbing the kaleidoscope... this week, I kept wondering if that was wrong.  Should I be doing this differently?

But we are having fun.  This morning, I decided that that is really what counts.  Right after we arrived at a birthday party and I had this sinking feeling, we might be showing up on the wrong day or at the wrong time... but then it turns out we were exactly right on time.  Clearly it was such a foreign experience for me I thought I got it wrong. And then we had an awesome time at the party.

I don't know if it is menopause, pre-menopause, peri-menopause, the start of summer, or the fact Jonah is starting camp on Monday, but I have been feeling somewhat emotional lately. I know my time with the kids is a gift.  I love it.  It is so hard sometimes I feel like watching TV with them all day long (or rather watching TV by myself all day long and locking them in their respective rooms)!  But we are so lucky.  Lucky to live in an amazing city filled with fantastic adventures (big and little).  Lucky to have our health, our family and our friends.  Lucky it is about to be long sunny days of summer.  Just lucky.

If I am klutzy, well I've decided that is ok.  A lucky klutz is pretty good.  And sometimes being klutzy takes you down a path you never would have gone, if you had it all planned out and organized ahead of time.

Amen to Amazonia! 

It saved our Tuesday and made it terrific!
 

mommy, why did you put Vera in there???


first up, the tanks!











then the "rainforest"








the map library

now onto to investigations!

the light up world was a big hit

my scientists!  investigating shells!

I can hear the ocean!

dinosaur bones!



we love the world!
contemplating stuff



donkeys!


Mr. Cow


Fish!



lunch time!

more rain!

a wrong turn and we are in pizza land!










1 comment:

  1. You are raising Jonah and Vera exactly the way you are supposed to, klutzy or not! I hear you though. It's hard to not be able to control our days the way we could as "professionals." The results are so much more satisfying than anything I did in my past life!

    ReplyDelete