About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wednesday, Washington, D.C, White House & War...

Today is Wednesday! We met Mitt Romney & President Obama today... well we met these impersonators of them in front of an ice cream truck giving away free ice cream if you "took the presidential poll" across the street from the White House! (see details here) Oh, how I love that we live & play in Washington, D.C.

We didn't have time for the free ice cream, we were running (or I should say I was pushing the umbrella stroller with Vera in it while carrying Jonah on my shoulders walking very quickly) from our car to the Survey Lodge Ranger Station (one block west of 15th and Independence, SW) for the Children's Program at 11am today (see here).  But we did have time to take some pictures and for Vera to vote in said poll.  Jonah would not go near these guys.  But Vera, she was talking to both them. 

Then they asked, "so who are you voting for? Mitt Romney or President Obama?"

Vera turned to President Obama and said, "Obama!" 

Seriously, like clear as day... the entire crowd lost it.  That's my Vera, she knows what she wants and how to say it!

We skedaddled over to the Ranger House and got there at 11:05am.  A Ranger was standing next to a sign that read "Children's Program" - so I asked, "did we miss it?  Are my children the right kind of children?"  Really that is what I said?!?!  What I meant was are they the right age...  I was out of breadth... (and yes I am still tired...)  She laughed and said, well you are the only one who has shown up - so no you didn't miss it, and your kids are great!  Kick it up for the Ranger!

She had these little hand outs and explained she wanted to walk around the WWII memorial.  We were game.  (At least I was game... Jonah had his cranky hat on...)

We got to the memorial.  The sun was shining.  The water fountains flowing.  A brass band was playing!  It was quite the scene.  There were also lots of WWII vets walking around in yellow t-shits, the Ranger explained to us they were having a reunion in light of last week being the anniversary of D-Day.  I thought that was really cool!

Then she got a call.  Some others showed up?  Would we wait?  Of course I said.  I mean who are we kidding I am always late.  So the new crew met us at the memorial.  And it was too funny, it was a mom from Vienna, VA with her 18 month old and her 3 1/2 year old.  Both girls.  Jonah had a friend.  I was very excited!  The Ranger I think was shocked that some other mom thought to bring her toddlers to a Ranger program - but hey it was 11am on a Wednesday - who else did they think were going to show up?

Ranger Laura was great.  She showed the kids the relief sculptures and had actual photos of the landing at Normandy to compare them to.  It was all going pretty well until Jonah started up that he was hungry, then thirsty, then just cranky... I gave him a cereal bar.  But then he had another accident... and took off his shorts and his shoes and would not put anything back on... I told the group to move on and I would catch up with them.  The other mom just gave me this knowing look as in "I feel your pain sister, I've been there..." 

Jonah and I worked out our little episode and then I gave Jonah & Vera my tour of the WWII memorial and it was fun.  Then just as the others were finishing up, we bumped into them.  Ranger Laura was so great that she then took us on a little walk around the memorial to find "Kilroy" - which was fun for Jonah.  The other little girl had so much fun finding him the first time, they tagged along for the second time.

Finally, it was lunch/snack time.  We got ice pops and water from a vendor and I freed Vera from the stroller - Jonah and Vera ran around at the memorial for a while.

We voted, we toured, we ate and we played.  (we also peed on the memorial, stripped naked  and refused to walk long distances) but Wednesday was worth it today.


The Ranger tours run all through June (and possible longer) every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday at 11am and 7pm.  Each Ranger does their own tour, so they vary each time.  They are all outside and they have the potential to be a fun thing to do for kids of all ages.  They all take place around the Mall area, so the little ones just like being able to run around.  It is free.  Ranger Laura was super nice!  See the link above for more details.  I'd like to try it again on a Weekend.



Hello ice cream truck - Hello candidates?



This is Vera turning to Obama and actually saying Obama with the binky in her mouth?!?!?!

Me: This is the White House Jonah.  Jonah: Does Buzz live there?



Ranger Laura talking to Jonah

this is after Jonah's meltdown and we are on the "mommy" tour...
t


then we found Ranger Laura again, and she helped us find "kilroy"

Thanks Ranger Laura!


Snacks!


Jonah had to have the rocket ice pop... he is obsessed with space ships right now... he flew it all over the place and ate some of it...










No comments:

Post a Comment