About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Bumping into B'shert (and Barack)

I had hoped to go to early voting yesterday... but of course I didn't check and it turns out early voting ended on Sunday... really Heather.  So we will go today... depending on the lines... it may just be me.

That was supposed to be our activity for the afternoon yesterday.  Now what.  I pulled out the kaleidoscope.  I looked and looked through it - and decided we'd make our way over to Capitol Hill and visit Lincoln Park - I figured that was sufficiently political enough for our playground outing - the day before Election Day.  I have been wanting to go forever with the kids for the playground and the two very cool statues...

We set out.  But then, I realized it was going to take way too long to get over there and back in time.  The kids were already rowdy in the car and needed some "running" time.  We were on Conn Ave going south, so I pulled out that kaleidoscope again... and then I saw it - just as we got to Calvert Street - let's try Walter Pierce Park - I had passed it a number of times but we had never been.  I gave up on the political bent and went for the nice fall afternoon playground outing experience!

Side Note:  Turns out Walter Pierce Park (not specifically the playground) is under some scrutiny as much of the park and gardens were an African American Cemetery. See discussion HERE.  I tried to figure out who Walter C. Pierce was but didn't have any luck - if you know, please let me know!

We got there within minutes and parked easily.  We walked from Calvert around the dog park and on the path to the very cute and totally empty playground.  A real city playground with lots of equipment, two sets of swings, crunchy leaves everywhere, a play fire engine and lots of slides!  Jonah and Vera were totally psyched!  It is totally playground weather now.  I love taking them to the playground - they are now totally playing with each other and seriously having the time of their lives!  (did I use totally enough?) It is a pure joy to watch them.  And today, I even sat on the bench while they played?!?!?!  Some moms will not get this - but for me this was a complete moment!  They were so happy running around with themselves - I just sat there and watched - and then jumped up to take a million pictures of them!  It was great.

It started to get late and dark, so we gathered ourselves up and made our way back to the car.  And then it happened...

B'shert. (Hebrew for destiny...)

As we turned to cross Calvert Street to get to our car, we all noticed a big mural on the side of the building that is Maya Ayesha's restaurant.  I never noticed the mural before.  But guess what...

It is a mural of the past eleven PRESIDENTS!!!!  Including President Obama!!! Seriously, you can not make this stuff up... this happens to us all the time!!!!

There we were, the three of us, staring up at this super sized painting of the US Presidents.  And my kids got it.  They really got it.  Jonah looks up and says there he is mom, it is President Obama.  And then Vera says, Obama, Obama, Obama! 

This is why I love living in Washington, DC.

We went to the playground and found our President on the way out.  That is B'shert.

Today is Election Day!  Everyone go out and vote. 

Every vote counts.

Hopefully, we'll know who the next President of the United States is tonight. 

Whatever happens, I like to believe it is B'shert.  We still need to make all our own decisions and take actions... but hopefully there is some B'shert in there too!















 













 



No comments:

Post a Comment