About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Daring to Race (and eventually - I hope - run...)

One of my best buddies birthday is a few days before mine.  Over the past decade, we have spent our birthdays together or celebrated them together many many times!  Sometimes in foreign countries, once at a bowling alley, sometimes at home, sometimes at bars… One thing we have never done together for our birthday is compete in a race…

This past May I decided I wanted to start running again.  I’ve posted before about my past marathons and how much I do love running.  It’s been way too long since I have done it.  I decided that I would start off slowly and hoped to work my way up to longer distances.  For me, it is all about having a goal.  So I looked up a bunch of cool races online and hoped to sign up for a number of them so that I would have my goals to keep me running at 5am in the morning.
I did it for about 2 1/2 weeks – the getting up at 5am to run.  But then I couldn’t keep it up.   There are many reasons I think it didn’t work then – one might have been that I am so damn tired all time… but I don’t think that was the main reason.  Thinking about it now, I realize there were other reasons.  But that is for a different post.

But during my initial burst of enthusiasm and zest for running, I did manage to sign up for one race.  I found a race on the weekend before our birthdays.  And it was the perfect race.  Mainly because it wasn’t exactly a race at all…

My friend, Auntie C, and I love to travel – be it road trips from Chicago to Milwaukee & Madison, WI or adventuring to China or Australia – it doesn’t matter.  We’ve spent New Year’s Eve on the beach in Rio, in the middle of the Western Saharan desert and in a hotel bar in Costa Rica.  We’ve tasted Port in Porto, Portugal and bought Delft pottery in Delft, Amsterdam.  She is a fellow adventurer in action and in spirit.  We’ve had fun.  We have always said we’d love to be on that TV show, The Amazing Race. 

So when I was looking for cool races (they have so many of them these days – zombie races, mud races, color runs…) and I stumbled across URBAN DARE.  I was psyched!  It was a mini Amazing Race, right here in Washington DC on the weekend of our birthdays – I signed us up!  It was my birthday present to her.
Neither one of us had trained or were running but we were going to do it anyway.  We’d just go as fast as we could. The thing about the “Race” is that it is part race, part “scavenger hunt” – you get a list of clues that you must solve or complete during the race. There is no actual course.  You  can use the metro or the bus during the race.  You must take a picture at each clue if it requires it.  At some clues, you must complete a dare.  It was going to be fun.

But we had to be prepared.  Jocelyn was out of town so I had to ask my “village” to help with the kids – and the village came through.  My bestest buddies Uncles B & B showed up early and stayed late to watch the kids and the kids had a blast.  We also wanted a “command central” to help us with the clues (this is allowed in the race) and my buddy Greg spent about 2 hours on the phone and the Internet helping us solve all the clues and map out our route – he is super awesome. 
It was a gorgeous day out.  We walked fast and ran a bit.  We took the metro twice.  We came in 20th  out of about 90 teams. Our time was 2:45:38.

WE HAD A BLAST!
During the race, we had three dares: (1) ask two people to hold the rope while we jumped it in a park (I paid two homeless people to hold our rope…); (2) do a three legged race around a statue in a park; and (3) figure out a “decoding” puzzle.  We did them all with no problem.  We also figured out each clue and took all the required pictures.  I did visit a few new sites in Washington DC and have now added them to my “kaleidoscope” lens for the future when I am in need of places to go with Jonah & Vera.

Jonah & Vera cheered for us when we got home.  Although, Jonah was irritated that he did not get to "race" with us.  I did remind him that he had a great day with Uncles B & B, went to the playground and ate lots of treats! 
There was at least one family doing the race and we actually kept bumping into them.  They were a family of four - mom, dad, and two young boys.   We talked to them a bit.  I totally want to do the race with my kids when they get older – I think it would be super fun!

The winners of the race clearly ran the entire time (you can check out their times at the link HERE ).  I have the running bug again.  I went and had new orthotics made for my running shoes.  I am going to try to start running soon.  I am trying to go to sleep earlier and eat healthier.  I have been walking a lot.  I am going to try to start in January to run in a disciplined way. 
My dare to myself (and to Auntie C) is this:

Next year, we RUN Urban Dare - the whole time!
Baby steps – but I am confident we can get there! 

Happy Birthday Auntie C!  I had a great time "racing" with you!
 









No comments:

Post a Comment