About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Monday, November 5, 2012

GOTV: Getting Out To Vote!

 
Elections.  Candidates. Votes. Advertising.  Politics. Oh My
 
I haven't really gone into it that much yet here, but well, tomorrow is Election Day - I can't help myself!
 
Here is the thing.  We live in Washington, DC - the Nation's Capitol.  I have been "into" politics since I can remember.  I come from a pretty liberal New York Jewish family of mostly Democrats. In that one sentence, you sort of get a picture of where I come from politically...  and it has carried over.
 
My birthday is always around Election Day and sometimes on it... 11/2. I headed up the Jimmy Carter contingent in my fifth grade school classroom when he was running against Reagan (we didn't do so well then - despite my passionate speeches..).  Four years later, I remember watching the the TV as the map of the US turned red when Mondale lost the to Reagan - defeat for the second time.  I campaigned, phone banked and lobbied all through high school in local elections. I went to Albany, NY and heard Gov Cuomo speak - it was quite awesome. The first time I voted for president was my freshman year of college, by absentee ballot, I voted for Bill Clinton! I went to the Democratic Convention in 2000, and campaigned for Gore and Lieberman.  I met Bill Clinton for the first time that year in Los Angeles working a convention event - that was super awesome (yes, he is that amazing in person).  I fund raised a lot and then campaigned in Ohio for Kerry.  It was all leading up to my stint in 2008 when I took a leave of absence from my job as a newly minted partner at biglaw to go join Hillary Clinton's campaign for President.  I could not just sit by and let that fight happen - I had to be part of it.  It was one of the best decisions I have ever made - in my life. 
 
Hillary was and is awesome.  I could write a book on that experience and her, maybe one day I will - but I digress.
 
Since then I've done election protection work, and other issue work (lots of marriage equality stuff).   
 
This election for POTUS is the first presidential election that my kids will experience - and now I am a SAHM... times have changed.  But my passion for what is just, right and important has not.
 
My kids are black, Jewish, live in Washington, DC, and have 2 moms (as well as many many other wonderful things).  The politics of this country affect them (and everyone else, even if you think it doesn't). 
 
My kids are learning at 3 and 1 what it means to vote.  And what is important.  Things like sharing with each other, respecting each other, and caring about each other.  Also, that you need to stand up for who and what you believe in, and protect those who need help when you can (Remember Spirit Day). 
 
We are voting for President Obama this year.  Jonah and Vera can both say President Obama and they know he lives in the White House, we pass by it all the time and say President Obama lives there.  They know he wants to protect the things that are important to them - like repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell, a woman's right to choose, and health care for everyone (including the language about preexisting conditions).  He also managed to get Osama Bin Laden - that's pretty good stuff.
 
And by the way, he is a black - and his mom was white - just like Jonah & Vera.  
 
I am trying to teach them how elections work.  I am going to take them to vote with me (either today or tomorrow).  Last week, we went downtown and checked out this very cool Hello Kitty election store front... But first we stopped by outside Madame Tussuad's Wax Museum to take a picture with a picture of President Obama (right after we drove by the White House) so that we were all clear who the real President of the United States is.
 
At the Hello Kitty exhibit, we met Hello Kitty. The kids got their makeup done before they had their photo shoot in front of the White House. We bought stuffed Hello Kittys - the proceeds go to Sandy storm victims.  Jonah & Vera found the crane game from Toy Story... yes, we had to play.  After, we went to the yogurt store down the street for snack.  It was quite fun.  And it got us talking about politics, elections and the President... this was a good thing.
 
So go and vote everyone.  And remember when you vote, your vote counts, each and every one.  And it matters.  Matters because who and what you vote for will impact you and everyone else. 
 
My kids deserve to live in a country and/or state that recognizes their family, their moms, and their rights.  Your vote matters.  If we vote on issues like sharing, respect, caring and becoming a better person and nation - then believing in what is good about all of us will help you make your decision.
 
We think you should vote yes on Question 6 in Maryland.  We think you should vote for Obama for President.  If you live in a state that has Marriage Equality on the ballot, vote so that Same-Sex couples and their kids are protected - it matters.  It also matters who you vote for locally - so think about it - and think about the things we teach our kids - respect, sharing, caring and standing up for what we believe in.
 
Hello Kitty is running for President of the Friendship State - she is head of the Friendship Party.  We saw her hug men, women, kids, adults, black people, white people, every color person, kids with 2 moms, with a mom and dad and every kid (or anyone else) who wanted to give her hug.  She didn't say much but she taught my kids that voting and hugs can be fun!
 
That's the thing.  Voting is fun.  Especially when you vote for people and ideas that expand our world and the potential happiness in it. (giving us more opportunities for hugs!)
 
President Obama is FAR FROM PERFECT (remember we were Hillary people), but he has done things to move us FORWARD.  That other guy, he is not going to do that - AT ALL!  He's got issues with Big Bird, women and same-sex couples - he is definitely not our guy!
 
Get out and Vote.  And vote for OBAMA!  (We still love you Hillary and we'd love to vote for you in 2016!)
 


 





















No comments:

Post a Comment