About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Monday, November 19, 2012

The Road Less Traveled


I've often mused that I never get lost.  I just go on adventures. (Shout out to Bubbe Rose on this one - she had a similar motto) This is often means I end up "taking the long way around" or the "the road less traveled" - and yes it does seem to often end up making all the difference in the world...

Yesterday, Jocelyn stole my kaleidoscope.  Seriously.  This never really happens.  It was a Sunday morning.  She was hanging out with the kids and giving them breakfast.  I walked in and she announced, "So, are we going to go do that breast cancer walk today?"

I took a serious pause.  She had mentioned it earlier in the week but I had forgotten about it - it had been a long week. I looked at her and the kids - the kids needed to get out and run - the fresh air would be good for them... maybe it would induce some intense naps for them later on.  I also have been trying to walk and move more in preparation of my 2013 commitment to running again.  I looked at Jocelyn again and said, "Let's do it!"

Since I had finished with my "cancer" episode, I always thought I would get my sh-t together and do one of the big breast cancer walks one day - I just hadn't gotten  my sh-t together yet.  But sometimes life has a way of sneaking up on you in the very best of ways... this was one of those times.

One of Jocelyn's colleagues at her law firm is Laurence Lese.  His wife is Judith A. Lese.  She had breast cancer over a decade ago.  When she managed to beat it, she decided to start her own foundation for breast cancer and research. She did - it is called the Judith A. Lese Breast Cancer Foundation.  Her and her husband are an amazing team and are doing great work with their Foundation. Jocelyn and I attended the annual dinner this summer for the Foundation.  It was really great.  Another strange fact - we both had the same doctor, Dr Colette Magnant at the Sullivan Breast Center at Sibley Hospital.  Dr. Magnant is an extraordinary doctor.  I will never be able to thank her enough for what she did for me and my family.  Turns out, she was one of the speakers at the dinner.  It was a very interesting turn of events.  Jocelyn had a new job.  One of her new partner's had a wife who had had breast cancer years ago.  The wife's doctor was my doctor and we were invited to her Foundation's annual dinner where the said doctor was speaking.. you can not fight destiny sometimes!

Fast forward to this past Sunday, the Foundation holds a 5k "Walk to Win" every year - and it was yesterday.  We packed the kids into the car. We went, we walked and we ate cake.

The walk was at Cabin John Regional Park.  An awesome park not too far away (they also have a train but it wasn't running on Sunday).  There is a wonderful playground there and fantastic trails through the woods.  I had no idea what the walk was going to be like.  I decided to bring the umbrella stroller - little did I know the walk was through the woods?!!?  It isn't a big walk.  Not more than 50 or 60 people, but many have been doing the walk for the 10 years.  Some people brought their kids, some brought their dogs, everyone brought a smile.  Everyone was warm, friendly and wonderful to us and the kids.

We started out strong!  But somehow we ended up at the end of the walk with Larry (Jocelyn's work colleague and Vice President of the Foundation).  We also somehow went off the actual walk trail.  But we had fun!  I am not sure we did the 5k, less than 5k or more than 5k but we completed our first breast cancer walk as a family.  That is a big deal - at least to me.

Jonah walked the entire time with Jocelyn.  I pushed Vera through rough terrain in the totally wrong stroller.  Larry helped me through many tough spots and over fallen trees - Vera thought the whole thing was quite hilarious!

When we finally figured out the way back to the finish line - we got to eat cake!!!  Jonah and Vera were quite pleased.  And after cake there was even a quick visit to the playground.

Jonah & Vera quickly fell asleep in the car on the way home.

This was absolutely completely not the breast cancer walk I thought I would do as my first.  We were not wearing pink boas or pink beads.  I hadn't printed up special t-shirts for us to wear or invited everyone I knew.  I hadn't composed a cheer for us and taught it to the kids... These are all things I had expected I might do when I finally got my sh-t together and raised a ton of money for breast cancer and then completed the "in the future" run or walk.  This was so not that.

But this was PERFECT.  In a way that is unexpected, real, and meant to be.  It was the four us: Jonah, Vera, Jocelyn and me in the woods - sort of lost - but happy to be together.  Stopping to look at the trees, hear the birds and see the sunshine - all things that I am so grateful I get to do with my family - despite having been diagnosed and treated for breast cancer.  It was on a walk organized by the wife of a law firm partner from Jocelyn's law firm.  And it was Jocelyn's idea to do the walk - that is wonderful in its own very special way.  At the end, we ate cake.  We love cake in this family.  We believe in celebrating the good things (often with cake) - that is what life (and this blog) is all about.

Thank you Jocelyn for stealing my kaleidoscope and taking us on the walk.

Thank you Judith for hosting the walk.

Thank you Larry for getting lost with us and helping with the stroller.

Thank you Jonah and Vera for being so much fun wherever I take you!

Thank you Dr. Magnant for being a superb doctor and person.

Thank you Breast Cancer for giving me a battle to fight and win - I am a proud Pink Warrior. I know I am better, stronger and more amazing because I met you, beat you and now will go on walks to stop your ability to hurt other mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers, great grandmothers, daughters, wives and women in the future.

















No comments:

Post a Comment