About Me

Washington, DC, United States
Heather Capell Bramble is mother of two kaleidoscoping kids, Jonah and Vera. She has a magical kaleidoscope, often in her back pocket, and it usually helps her turn her normally chaotic life into something beautiful. Her goal is to have as much fun and try to be as happy as they can while on the uncharted journey of motherhood. This means doing lots of arts and crafts, going on crazy adventures, and celebrating all kinds of holidays - and yes, trying to laugh along the way!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Partying in Pittsburgh!

We had a good time in Pittsburgh.  We hung out with family and some old friends.  And we got to go to a wedding!

I LOVE WEDDINGS!  Really love weddings!

As in I used to watch that show "A Wedding Story" obsessively and I still love reading the New York Times wedding announcements every week.  Also, I have been "in" a ton of weddings and until we moved I still had every bridesmaid dress that I had ever worn - but then we moved and decluttered and I donated them.  There were at least 12 of them circa 1995 to 2010... that is some time span...  but I digress.

Saturday night was the big night.  Big night for us and big night for the kids!

We were in a new city where did not really know anyone other than my family, the groom's family, and a few other family friends.  We were going out with adults for the Saturday night wedding.  The kids were staying in the hotel with a babysitter. 

This sounds simple.  But it isn't.  First off, thanks to my reliable mommy friends in Washington DC, I secured a babysitter of a mom who lives in Pittsburgh who is a friend of my friend.

Then, we weren't really going to be hanging out with our "friends" - it was more of a hang out family night.  I love my family (my brother, his wife, and my mom), but you know it could go many different ways - as in we could all get into some stupid family squabble, or we could have a good time.  We actually haven't really hung out all of us sans kids in forever?!?! 

Turns out the wedding plan was super amazing.  They got married in Pittsburgh because (1) she is from Pittsburgh and (2) they are both huge Pittsburgh sports team fans - especially the Steelers.  They met in New York, at Scruffy Duffy's, a sports bar in Hell's Kitchen (now closed) while rooting for the Steelers.  It is a great story.  He is a great guy. He "bar tended" for my bridal wedding tea... She seems like a great girl.  The are an awesome looking couple. The wedding was gorgeous and fantastic.  And they seemed super happy.

We all had a great time.  The wedding was at Heinz Field.  That is just cool! They had the ceremony and party on the club level.  We were staring out these huge windows at the Pittsburgh skyline and the baseball stadium.  It was a fabulous view.  And at some point (when the baseball game ended), we were treated to a full on fireworks show! 

The wedding ceremony was really beautiful.  I cried the whole time they read their individually written vows...

My family had a good time together at the wedding.  Everyone was on their best behavior.  We all had fun and enjoyed each other and the party.  Maybe it is a sign that we are all maturing... maybe.

As an added treat, we were able to check out the field and walk around the stands.  That was super cool.

On the ride back from Pittsburgh, Jocelyn and I talked about it and overall it felt like the wedding was a perfect mix of the bride and groom and that is really a great way to have a wedding!

Back at the hotel, my kids seemed to love the babysitter, Abby.  She was young, happy and armed with an iPhone!  My brother's kids were four doors down the hall in the hotel, with a family friend staying with them.  One of the cousins ended up hanging out with Jonah in our room and that made him happy.

There was one blip in the night.  Abby texted me that Jonah threw up but all was well... what the hell?????  They had ordered room service dinner (this is the partying the kids did) and he sort of "choked" on his grilled cheese and threw up but then was fine...

Sometimes I feel like that kind of stuff only happens in my family... but I know I am wrong and it was no big deal - and could have been a million times worse...

They ordered pay per view Dora and SpongeBob movies... Abby said they were good as gold.  Vera went to sleep in 5 minutes after she was in the crib and Jonah went to sleep at his bedtime???? THANK YOU ABBY!

We got back after a wonderful adult evening and the kids were asleep?!?! 

Not a bad Saturday night. 

Of course all hell broke loose on Sunday morning when both of my kids clearly had behaved enough on Saturday for the rest of the weekend and thus, they were done on Sunday.  We literally had to leave the "wedding brunch" early (kicking and screaming) and did not go with our cousins to the Ducquesne Incline.  We just packed it up after Jocelyn got off 3 different conference calls and headed back to home.

I've learned the hard way -

Quit while you are ahead & take the good stuff where you can!

Thank you Steve and Kristi for a great excuse to visit Pittsburgh and a wonderful time! 

We wish you only happiness, health and love!

MAZAL TOV!

room service food and eating on the bed!!


pay per view Dora!!! whoop whoop!


eating treats on the bed and watching DVDs!!! 


Mom & Me at Heinz Field!



Our Gang at the wedding!*

adult time... not such a bad thing...*


*These photos were taken by the mother of the groom and swiped off the sister of the groom's Facebook page...

No comments:

Post a Comment